Sep 11, 2011

Wild Race Dogs?



I kicked off Introvert Weekend with a paddle at Licking River.  I found this particular run on the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources Website..aka: the KDFWRW.  Not too far from Lexington, and offering a new place to explore.  Directions and a Map

It seemed like the river was dirt or sand bottomed for most of the way.  Nobody else was on the water and I thought the fishing might be better but I didn't get a bite the whole time.  I tried soft plastics and crank baits.  Nothing.  The website told me that there were Muskee in the water so I even threw some steel leaders in my bag.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any use for them.

The strangest thing about the trip was seeing tons of dogs running around.  They all had numbers painted, or dyed, on their side.  

Since I went by myself, I had to paddle back upstream to my truck.  I set the timer and it took me 1 hr 14 min 8 sec.  That was a workout!

This trip won't be high on my list of places to return because of the poor fishing and I didn't see any good places to camp on the bank.  Although, it might be fun to do it again with somebody so we could travel further and not have to backtrack.  It'd also be nice to catch a fish.  Next time I'll leave the fishing pole at home and bring bring dog food and Beggin' Strips! 

2 comments: