Aug 12, 2011

Hickman Creek


I just have to say that I am so thankful to live so close to so many beautiful places to explore.  This morning I returned to what's becoming a familiar fishing location-Hickman Creek.  A couple weeks back Derrick and Jeff showed me a place on Hickman that I didn't know about.  Now it was my turn to share my spot with them.

How awesome is it that I can fish for 3 hours on a normal workday, by just waking up a little bit early?!?!  How awesome is it that I have several different friends who are available and excited to join me?!?!  Derrick and I met up early and drove down to the creek together.  It was actually still dark when we got there so we stalled for a bit before we started fishing.  As we fished the sun started to rise.  A fog covered the creek that was beautiful.  The cooler morning air meets the warm water....since it's still hot August!

Fishing was good.  As usual, we caught lots of little rock bass.  We also caught several rock bass that seemed much larger than the usual ones that we catch.  Derrick and I decided that the creek is a great place to come if you want to catch fish in volume.  They're usually not that big, but you can catch a ton of them on a little hard plastic crawdad.

I think we've also learned that the soft plastics catch less, but they just might help you pull in the fish that are just a little bit bigger.  I've now caught my two biggest fish on the same lure at Hickman.  It's a soft plastic yellow lure with lots of tails and stuff on it that make it sink slow and produce lots of movement as I draw it in.  This guy was a lot of fun to pull in.  He made my reel scream a little bit and then did a little jumping too!

I just love being out in the morning and starting my day enjoying the outdoors.  I love sharing that time with great people!  It seems like we're learning a little bit about fishing and becoming better anglers along the way.  But, even if we aren't....we're having a lot of fun!

Cool looking piece of bark!

No comments:

Post a Comment